Phil Vickery's Gruyere Stuffed Turkey Burgers with Tomato Relish
Here is a recipe for possibly the most delicious turkey burgers I have ever tasted, created by the lovely Phil Vickery.
While I'm not the brains behind the creation, I did have the pleasure of cooking alongside Phil for a video for British Turkey website. I'm really impressed with the final edit, loving the split screens and helpful tips from Phil. Who would have thought to add mayonnaise to turkey mince to make burgers? It really works too! They are as easy as they look and they taste out of this world. I've already made them four times at home. Please make sure you try them too!
Phil Vickery's Gruyere Stuffed Turkey Burgers with Tomato Relish: Serves 4-6:
Time: 20 mins prep + 10 mins cooking + 30 mins chilling
Cost: £1.16 per serving
Calories: 464 per serving
*based on 6 burgers without ciabatta
For the burgers:
- 500g British turkey thigh mince
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ medium egg white, lightly beaten
- 1-2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- Salt and ground pepper
- 150g Gruyere, cheese cut into small slices
- 4 tbsp oil
For the relish:
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- ½ small red onion, very finely chopped
- ½ small red chilli, very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- Juice of a large lime
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced ciabatta
- Lettuce leaves
- Place the turkey, mayonnaise, basil, Worcestershire sauce and egg white together into a bowl. Mix really well, then add the seasoning, and dried breadcrumbs and mix well again.
- Leave to chill for 30 minutes, so the mixture can tighten, once the breadcrumbs reconstitute themselves.
- Mould into 4 - 6 balls, then flatten slightly into small patties. Place a small piece of Gruyere cheese in the centre and reform into a ball and flatten again.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, than add the burgers, cook for a couple of minutes, then flip over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients for the relish and serve with the burgers on top of toasted slices of ciabatta and lettuce.
More turkey recipes from British Turkey
More easy budget recipes from Gourmet Mum