The 'Daddy' Burger: Homemade Beefburgers
Called 'The Daddy Burger' as they are big, beefy homemade beefburgers which are perfect for Fathers Day. They are really easy to make, taste delicious and are surprisingly healthy if you use lean mince. Serve with all your favourite burger fillings, salad and homemade chunky chips.
Happy Fathers Day!
The 'Daddy' Burger: Homemade Beefburgers: Makes 8 - 10
Time: 15 mins prep + 20 mins cooking
Cost: 75p per burger (based on 8 burgers)
Calories: 159 per burger (based on 8 burgers)
For the burgers:
- 2 slices of bread soaked in milk (for about 10 mins)
- 750g lean mince beef
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- Handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 level tsp ground coriander
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp Djoin mustard
- 1 - 2 chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 egg, whisked
- Salt & pepper to taste
To serve (here's just a few ideas):
- Burger buns
- Grated cheddar
- Sliced gherkins
- Tomato relish
- Finely sliced red onion
- Lettuce leaves
- Take the soggy bread and squeeze out the excess milk with your hands. Place the bread in a large bowl and break it up with your fingers.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the burgers in the bowl and mix everything together with your hands until very well combined. It's much easier to do this when the ingredients are at room temperature as your hands wont get so cold! Make sure you remove any rings before you do this as they will get covered in meat.
- Divide the mixture into 8 - 10 balls, depending on the size of burger you want. (I made 8 burgers and they were nice and thick. Shape the balls into burger patties, place on a large plate lined with some kitchen paper, cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Cook on a BBQ or under a medium - hot grill for 10 minutes per side (roughly) until cooked through. Keep warm until you are ready to serve.
- To serve your burger (this is just an idea): slightly warm the buns and split. Spread tomato relish on the bottom followed by some lettuce, followed by the burger, cheese, onion and gherkins.
More Easy Budget Recipes