Pork, Apple and Cheddar Burgers
I love homemade burgers. They are easy to prepare and you can make up your own exciting flavour combinations. Homemade burgers are more healthy and far more delicious than ready made and the only equipment you need is your hands.
These Pork, Apple and Cheddar Burgers are my new favourite. Pork, apple and cheese are three ingredients which always work well together. Throw them together with a few herbs and you've got some seriously good burgers.
I use extra lean pork mince as the apple keeps them moist. Herbs are a must, fresh chives or basil (I used ready chopped and washed Gourmet Garden Basil) work really well but you can substitute for a teaspoon of dried herbs such as basil or sage.
Pork, Apple and Cheddar Burgers: Makes 5 burgers:
Time: 10 mins prep, 30 mins chilling, 10-12 mins cooking
Cost:78p per burger*
Calories:185 per burger*
*burger only using 1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden Basil
- 500g extra lean pork mince
- 1 dessert apple, grated
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or chives, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried herbs)
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Ciabatta, salad and tomato relish to serve
- Put the pork mince, apple, cheese and herbs in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Add the breadcrumbs, season with salt and pepper and mix again so the breadcrumbs are evenly distributed.
- Split the mixture into 5 evenly sized balls and flatten to make a burger shape. Put on a plate, cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Grill or BBQ the burgers for 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. Serve on ciabatta with salad and tomato relish.
More easy budget recipes