This aubergine no-pasta lasagne is perfect for gluten or wheat free diets - or for people who just avoid carbs like the plague, which is most people I know these days. It's really easy to make - just a simple ragu meat sauce (I used turkey thigh mince but any mince would work) layered with griddled aubergines and a cheats cheese sauce - using cottage cheese which takes a minute to make! Enjoy with crusty bread, without the guilt, or salad for the carb dodgers.
Aubergines are one of those vegetables I always wonder what to do with, but they are perfect in this recipe. They are really easy to cut into thin slices and take no time at all to griddle quickly. If you don't have a griddle pan just use a hot frying pan.
If you have never made a quick cheese sauce using cottage cheese you will be amazed at how quick, easy and tasty it is. It really works a treat, and so much less effort than a full on bechamel sauce during the week. Swap the meat ragu for a beany version for a veggie dish.
Aubergine No Pasta Lasagne: Serves 4:
Time: 25 mins prep + 20 mins cooking
Cost: £1.25 per serving
Calories: 439 per serving
For the pasta free lasagne:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 500g turkey thigh mince
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 150g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 medium aubergines, cut into 1-2mm thick slices
For the cheats cheese sauce:
- 300g tub cottage cheese
- 75g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp milk
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and carrot until soft.
- Add the turkey mince and stir fry until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms and Italian seasoning. Cook until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, soy sauce and black pepper to taste.
- Stir well, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the liquid had reduced.
- Meanwhile, heat up a griddle pan and brush it with the remaining 1 tbsp oil.
- Griddle the aubergine slices for 30-60 seconds on each side in batches. Put to one side.
- In a bowl, blend the cottage cheese, cheddar and milk until smooth to make the cheese sauce.
- To assemble the lasagne: use an ovenproof dish roughly 26 x 20 cm in size. Spoon in a third of the turkey mince and spread evenly over the bottom of the dish. Arrange a third of the aubergine slices on top of the mince, slightly overlapping. Dot half the cheese sauce evenly over the aubergine slices.
- Repeat another layer of mince, aubergine and cheese using the same quantities. Top the second cheese layer with the remaining mince and finish the lasagne with the final layer of aubergine slices.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C / 160 fan / gas mark 4 for 20 minutes until bubbling around the edges and piping hot.