Ginger Roasted Pineapple with Greek Yoghurt Dip
Ginger Roasted Pineapple with Greek Yoghurt Dip is one of the recipes I made in the Gourmet Garden Blog Off Cook Off final. It's an easy, healthy light, fresh and zingy dessert. Serve it in bowls topped with the yoghurt or on skewers with the yoghurt in a ramekin if you want to make it a bit special. It also works well with tinned pineapple, which is cheaper and easier to prepare than fresh.
The Gourmet Garden ginger works really well with this recipe as it's blended to a puree which means the pineapple is evenly coated with the spice. You could use a peeled and finely grated thumbsized piece of fresh ginger, or a teaspoon of ground ginger instead.
A good tip for this recipe is to taste the honey marinade and adjust the spices and lime to suit your own preference.
Ginger Roasted Pineapple is great for a BBQ - simply thread the coated pineapple onto metal skewers and grill.
Ginger Roasted Pineapple with Greek Yoghurt Dip: Serves 4:
Time: 10 mins + 15 mins roasting
Cost: 79p per serving*
Calories: 286 per serving*
- 1 large ripe pineapple
- 4 tablespoons runny honey
- 4 level teaspoons of Gourmet Garden ginger (or see above)
- Finely grated zest of a lime + extra to garnish (optional)
- 1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon (or to taste)
- 300ml Greek yoghurt
- 4 bamboo skewers (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 / 200 C.
- Start by preparing your pineapple. Slice the top and bottom off your pineapple and place it on a chopping board, cut bottom side down. Carefully use a knife to slice off the skin in strips from top to bottom all the way around the pineapple. Now cut the peeled pineapple into 4 quarters. Cut the core away from each pineapple quarter and then slice each of the quarters into six chunky slices. Place all the slices in a large oven proof dish or baking sheet.
- Mix the honey, ginger, cinnamon and lime zest in a small bowl until well combined. Pour it over the pineapple pieces and mix until the pineapple is well coated. Do not wash the bowl you mixed the honey and spices in as you will need it later.
- Ensure the pineapple pieces are evenly spaced out in your oven dish and roast them for around 15 minutes, turning the pineapple half way through roasting.
- Pour the Greek yoghurt into the bowl you used to mix the honey and spices and give it a good mix. The Greek yoghurt should taste a bit sweeter with a hint of the spices, but if you find it's still a bit sharp for you then add a little more honey.
- When the pineapple is cool enough to touch, thread six pieces onto each skewer and serve alongside the Greek yoghurt dip. Alternatively, place six pineapple pieces into four bowls and top with the Greek yoghurt dip. Make sure you spoon some of the delicious juices from the pineapple roasting dish over the pineapple before serving.