Grilled Halloumi and Vegetable Kebabs
Grilled Halloumi and Vegetable Kebabs are perfect for a BBQ, but they are delicious grilled when it's not BBQ season. They are really quick and easy to make, but they look pretty impressive and they taste delicious. I serve them with pittas and salad.
A couple of tips: brushing the halloumi kebabs with oil prevents them sticking to the grill, and making everything roughly the same size will ensure they cook evenly. You can soak the skewers in water for 20 minutes to prevent them burning.
A word of advice about halloumi if you have not tried it before, be careful as grilled halloumi is very additive! Rubbery, salty, warm and crispy on the outside deliciousness... mmmm....
Grilled Halloumi and Vegetable Kebabs: Makes 8 Kebabs
Time: 10 mins prep + 5 mins cooking
Cost: 48p per kebab*
Calories: 127 per kebab*
*Based on full fat halloumi and the vegetables in the recipe
- 250g halloumi cheese (the low fat one if you prefer)
- Vegetables (I used: 1 courgette, 1 pepper, 1 red onion, 200g cherry tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 wooden skewers for threading
- Lemon wedges to serve (optional)
- Soak the wooden kebab skewers for 20 minutes before use in water. This helps to stop them charring. If you don't have time to do this don't worry.
- Cut the halloumi into 16 cubes (if you cut it smaller it will be hard to thread onto the skewers without breaking up). Cut the vegetables into bite sizes chunks large enough to be threaded onto a skewer. If you have cherry tomatoes or button mushrooms leave them whole. Red onions are best cut into wedges and then in cut in half (see photo).
- Thread the halloumi and vegetables onto the skewers. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with dried herbs. Cook under a hot grill or on a BBQ for 4 - 5 minutes turning frequently until everything have browned evenly. Squeeze over some lemon juice to serve, if you like.
More Easy Budget Recipes