Roast Parsnip Soup
Roasting parsnips brings out their natural sweetness which gives a lovely flavour to this simple and delicious soup. A good way to use up leftover Christmas veggies too.
Roast Parsnip Soup: Serves 4-6:
Time: 10 mins hands on time + 50 mins cooking time
Cost: 43p per serving*
Calories: 204 per serving*
*based on 4 servings using water
- 800g parsnips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1.5 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 300ml whole milk or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 / 200 C. Peel and slice each parsnip lengthways into 4 evenly sized pieces. Toss in the olive oil and rosemary, place on one or two baking sheets in an even layer along with the garlic cloves, and roast for around 40 minutes until tender turning once or twice during the cooking.
- Place the cooked parsnips in a pan along with the stock. Peel the roasted garlic cloves and add them to the pan. Season to taste, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the roast parsnip soup from heat and blend thoroughly with a hand blender until smooth. Return to the heat and stir in the whole milk for a creamy soup or just water. If you prefer the soup a little thinner just add some more milk or water to achieve the desired consistency.
More easy budget recipes