Cranberry, Apple and Chestnut Stuffing
Stuffing is the highlight of my Christmas dinner and this Cranberry, Apple and Chestnut Stuffing is one of my favourites. It looks great wrapped in bacon and cut into slices on the table. Thinly sliced leftovers would be great in a turkey sandwich.
I got the recipe from The Ideas Kitchen website which is run by Panasonic. I baked it using my Panasonic combination microwave which took half the time it would in an oven and it tasted fantastic.
Cranberry, Apple and Chestnut Stuffing: Makes 12 servings
Time: 15 mins + 35 mins baking
Cost: 59p per serving*
Calories: 205 per serving*
*based on 12 servings using dried herbs
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cooking apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 500g good quality sausage meat
- 100g cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- Fresh parsley, sage and thyme, one tablespoon of each, chopped (or 1 teaspoon of each, dried)
- 150g fresh breadcrumbs
- 75g dried cranberries
- 1 egg, whisked
- 12 rashes of streaky bacon
Cooking in a combination microwave:
- Combine the onion and oil in a bowl and cook on HIGH MICROWAVE for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. I found this easier to do with my hands. Form the mixture into a sausage shape around 25-30cm long and 10cm in diameter.
- Lay each rasher of bacon on a chopping board, each one slightly overlapping the other, to make a sort of bacon sheet. Place the sausage stuffing in the centre of the sheet of bacon rashers. One rasher at a time, bring the ends of each rasher over the stuffing sausage so that the stuffing is completely wrapped in the bacon.
- Place the bacon wrapped stuffing on a non-metallic tray and put on the wire shelf in the combination microwave. Cook on CONVECTION 180 C + GRILL 2 + SIMMER MICROWAVE for 25-30 minutes. Cut into slices to serve.
Cooking using a hob and oven:
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 / 160 C.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion until soft for around 5 minutes. Leave to cool slightly.
- Follow the instructions 2 - 4 as above.
- Bake the stuffing for around 1 hour until golden brown.
More easy budget recipes