Asian Duck Salad with Hoisin Dressing
This Asian Duck Salad with Hoisin Dressing is perfect for an alfresco dinner in the summer. The flavour combination is absolutely delicious - rich duck, juicy mango, refreshing cucumber and hot chilli all wrapped up in a sweet-sharp hoisin dressing.
Add some finely sliced peppers or carrots for extra crunch. For a slightly cheaper option, swap duck breast for roasted and shredded duck legs. If you don't have hoisin sauce, try make a dressing from 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar.
Asian Duck Salad:
- Serves: 2
- Time: Around 25 minutes start to finish
- Cost: £2.71 per serving
- Calories: 351 per serving
For the salad:
- 1 large duck breast, approx 200g
- 1/2 a large mango, peeled and cut into strips
- 1/2 a cucumber, peeled, deseeded & chopped
- Good couple of handfuls of lambs lettuce, or other leaves, washed
- 2-4 spring onions, washed and cut into shards
- Good handful fresh coriander leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 red birds eye chilli, sliced
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7 / 200 fan / 220 C.
- Wash the duck breast and pat completely dry with kitchen paper. Make several shallow slits in the skin of the duck breast diagonally around 1 cm apart. Season the skin with salt and pepper.
- Place the duck breast skin side down in dry, cold frying pan on a medium heat. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the skin is golden brown. Pour away the fat as it comes out.
- Turn the duck breast over in the pan and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until the meat has sealed.
- Place the duck breast in an oven-proof dish and pop in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes if you like your duck rare, 14 medium and 17 for well done.
- When the duck has cooked, leave it to rest for 10 minutes in a warm place while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Toss together the mango, cucumber, lettuce, spring onions and coriander. Take two salad bowls and put half the salad mixture in each.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients well and put to one side until you are ready to serve.
- Slice the duck breast thinly and distribute half the meat evenly over each bowl of salad. Top with the chopped chilli and more coriander leaves if you like. Drizzle over the dressing and serve immediately or just take the bowls of salad and the dressing to the table.
This recipe is to celebrate the launch Uniform Foodies - a brand new app launched by the people at Uniform Dating with the help of 2 Michelin starred chef Michael Caines. It's packed with recipes designed to appeal to the nation’s nurses, doctors, armed forces, police and fire fighters.
This is a sponsored post. Words, recipe and food image are my own.