Really Good Homemade Tomato Sauce
So it's January and most of us are probably feeling the pinch and feeling we could pinch more than an inch after the indulgence of Christmas!
Here's an easy recipe for a really good homemade tomato sauce which I hope you will enjoy. It's simple, really delicious and very versatile. A pinch of smoked paprika adds warms and flavour to the sauce. You can blend the sauce to make it smooth or keep it chunky.
Here's a few ideas for your homemade tomato sauce:
- Stir into cooked pasta and top with grated cheese
- Add chillies and basil to make Arrabiata - Italian spicy tomato pasta
- Add a mug or two of vegetable stock and blend to make homemade tomato soup
- Use as a sauce for grilled chicken or fish
- Blend and use as homemade pizza sauce
- Add browned mince and mushrooms to make spaghetti bolognese
- Use as a base for a stew or casserole
- Add browned mince, chilli powder and kidney beans to make chilli con carne
- Add beans to make Italian bean stew or bean chilli
Do you have any other ideas or recipes?
A good tip is to make this sauce in bulk and freeze it in bags. Not only does it save you time in the future, it also greatly improves the flavour. You can also blitz up the onion, carrot and celery in a food processor to save time as it will cook more quickly.
Really Good Homemade Tomato Sauce: Makes 4-6 servings:
Time: 10 mins hands on time + 30 mins cooking time
Cost: 28p per serving*
Calories: 105 per serving*
*based on 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon of Italian dried herbs
- Good pinch of smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, fry the onion for around 5 minutes in the olive oil until soft. Add the carrot and celery and cook for a further 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, tinned tomatoes, herbs and paprika. Season to taste. Stir well, bring to the boil and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
More easy budget recipes