Prawn Spaghetti in a Chilli, Tomato & Garlic Sauce
When I (used to) go out to Italian resturants, I loved to eat seafood and spaghetti in a tomato, garlic and chilli sauce. Now going to any restaurants is a rare occurrence, so I have put together this very easy and quick version of my favourite meal. Check out the video below.
Prawn Spaghetti in a Chilli, Tomato & Garlic Sauce is so quick and easy to make - it's ready in the time it takes the pasta to cook. It's also less than £1 a serving (if you use frozen prawns) making it a very affordable mid-week main. It also tastes absolutely delicious.
I make it with one red chilli which gives a 'medium-to-hot' heat. Use more or less depending how brave you are. Dried chilli flakes are a good substitute to fresh chillies.
Prawns & Spaghetti in a Tomato, Chilli & Garlic Sauce: Serves 2:
Cost: 90p per serving
Calories: 560 per serving
- 200g spaghetti or linguine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed or finely sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely sliced or chopped
- 200g chopped tomatoes (half a tin)
- Juice of half a lemon (2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- 150g peeled frozen prawns, defrosted (or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or coriander
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Break the spaghetti in half (it makes it easier to mix later on) and cook according to the instructions on packet. This should take around 10 - 12 minutes.
- While the spaghetti is cooking make the sauce. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok and add the garlic and chilli. Cook for about a minute then add the lemon juice, and tomatoes. Cook for around 5 minutes over a high heat until the sauce is bubbling and it has reduced slightly. Finally add the prawns - you just need to heat them through, don't overcook them. Season to taste.
- When the spaghetti is cooked, drain it and add to the tomato & prawn sauce along with the parsley or coriander. Toss everything together over a low heat until all the spaghetti is well combined with the sauce. Serve immediately with more fresh herbs sprinkled on top if you like.
More Easy Budget Recipes