Easy Spaghetti Bolognese
Spaghetti Bolognese is an all time family favourite. Here's my healthy, easy and tasty version which is guaranteed to be a hit with everyone in the family. Make double and freeze half for another day.
Mince is so inexpensive, it's worth going for the best quality extra lean mince you can get. If you want to make this dish a bit special sprinkle it with fresh basil and parmesan cheese. It's one of those dishes which tastes better the day after it has been made, so make ahead if you can and reheat before serving.
My top tip for making really tasty Spaghetti Bolognese is to bake it in the oven for a few hours before serving it. Pop the mince into an ovenproof dish with a lid and bake in the oven at 160 C / gas mark 4 for up to 3 hours. This is a brilliant tip I learned from my friend Emma.
Easy Spaghetti Bolognese: Serves 4 adults:
Time: 10 mins prep + 20 mins cooking
Cost: £1.20 per serving (including spaghetti)
Calories: 500 per serving (including spaghetti)
- 500g extra lean mince beef
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 200g carrots (roughly 2 large ones), grated
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian mixed herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 - 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Splash wine (optional)
- 300g spaghetti
- Basil & parmesan to serve (optional)
- Fry the onion and carrots in a large pan until soft using a little oil. Meanwhile, brown the mince and drain the fat away (this is an optional step to be healthy).
- Add the browned mince to the carrot and onion. Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree, ketchup, stock cube, dried herbs, vinegar, Worcester sauce, mushrooms and wine (if using). Give everything a good stir and season to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer for at least 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Serve over cooked spaghetti (or any pasta) sprinkled with fresh basil and parmesan if you like.
Read more easy budget recipes