Tomato & Goat's Cheese Gnocchi
Tomato & Goat's Cheese Gnocchi is a real 'storecupboard superhero' and ready in just 20 minutes. Ready made gnocchi is inexpensive, cooks quickly and is a great alternative to pasta. Sliced frozen peppers are a good cheat in a recipe like this if you don't have time to slice fresh ones. If you're not keen on goats cheese try grated cheddar or mozzarella.
Tomato & Goat's Cheese Gnocchi freezes really well so it's good for batch cooking. I find it easier to freeze it in individual serving dishes to defrost and reheat as required than in one big batch. This recipe serves 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children. Serve it on it's own or with a green salad.
Tomato & Goat's Cheese Baked Gnocchi: Serves 3 Adults:
Time: 20 minutes start to finish
Cost: 85p per serving
Calories: 436 per serving
- 1 red onion. diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Italian mixed herbs
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 500g packet ready made gnocchi
- 300g sliced frozen peppers (or 2 fresh, sliced)
- 75g goat's cheese, sliced or crumbled
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Fry the onion in a little olive oil for around 3 - 4 minutes until soft. Add the chopped tomatoes, gnocchi, garlic, herbs, paprika, peppers and tomato puree. Give everything a really good stir and season to taste. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for around 10 minutes stirring occasionally until the gnocchi is soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Pour the gnocchi into an oven proof dish (or three individual oven proof serving dishes) and top evenly with the goat's cheese. Pop under a hot grill for a minute or two so the cheese has melted and the mixture is bubbling. Depending on the type of goats cheese you have, it may not melt, but it will still taste good. Serve on it's own or with a salad.
More Easy Budget Recipes