Easy Risotto with Chicken and Leeks
If you like risotto but don't have time to stand and stir, try this easy risotto with chicken and leeks. It's delicious, creamy, healthy and quick to make using garlic & herb cream cheese as a shortcut.
It's also a great way to use up leftover roast chicken. Just shred it or chop it into chunks and heat through.
Easy Risotto with Chicken and Leeks: Serves 4:
Time: 15 - 20 minutes start to finish
Cost: £1.39 per serving
Calories: 563 per serving
- 300g easy cook white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400g chicken, cut into 1 x 2cm sized pieces roughly
- 1 large leek, sliced in half once lengthways and then finely sliced
- 200g frozen peas
- 120g low fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh chives to garnish (optional)
- Put the rice on to cook according to the instructions on the pack. While the rice is cooking, cook the other ingredients.
- In a large saucepan (which will eventually fit all the ingredients) heat the oil in the pan and fry the chicken along with the garlic and herbs until cooked through and browned. Add the chopped leeks and frozen peas. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the leeks are just soft. Season to taste.
- Add the cooked rice to the chicken, leeks and peas along with the soft cheese. Over a low heat, stir everything gently until all the ingredients are evenly distributed. This may take a little time. Add a splash of boiling water to help loosen the cheese if you need to. Serve immediately topped with some chopped fresh chives if you like.