Creamy Bacon and Leek Linguine
Creamy Bacon and Leek Pasta is ready in just 15 minutes which makes it a brilliant, quick mid-week main. It only requires FOUR basic ingredients to make, costs less than £1 per serving and tastes delicious. It's definitely one of my favorite easy budget recipes, especially as the kids eat it too. I prefer to use unsmoked bacon for little ones as smoked is a bit salty. If your kids are fussy about leeks, swap them for peas or whatever they prefer.
I keep a tub of cream cheese with garlic and herbs in my fridge as it is a great shortcut for this recipe (and also Rachel's Risotto) and keeps for a while unopened. I like to use linguine as I just think it works really well but spaghetti or any other pasta will do.
This recipe is dedicated to my gorgeous friend Nicky and her two girls Aimee and Olivia. They were the first to demo this recipe for me in the summer!
Creamy Bacon and Leek Linguine: Serves 4 adults:
Time: 15 mins start to finish
Cost: 98p per serving
Calories: 603 per serving
- 400g linguine (or pasta of your choice)
- 6 rashes of smoked or unsmoked back bacon
- 2 medium leeks
- 250g tub low-fat cream cheese with garlic & herbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Put the pasta on to cook according to the instructions on the packet. This should take around 10 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the other ingredients.
- Cut the bacon into thin strips (around 3cm x 1cm) removing the white fat. Top and tail the leeks and slice each in half lengthways. Slice these up finely (about half a cm) and give the leeks a really good wash in a colander.
- In a large saucepan or wok (large enough to hold the pasta as well) fry the bacon on it's own for a minute or so stirring frequently on high heat until crisp and cooked. Add the leeks, and a splash of oil and stir fry them for around 3 minutes until just soft.
- Drain the cooked pasta reserving a little of the starchy cooking water. Add the cooked pasta and the cream cheese to the pan with the bacon and leeks. Stir well over a low heat until the pasta is well coated with the cheese and the other ingredients. Add a little of the cooking water to loosen the sauce if it's a bit sticky and thick. Season to taste and serve immediately.
More easy budget recipes