Bacon, Mushroom & Pesto Pasta
Bacon, Mushroom & Pesto Pasta is an easy recipe which is brilliant for a quick mid-week meal. It's ready in the time it takes to cook the pasta and leftovers are great for lunch the following day.
A good tip is to use ham instead of bacon. It’s a great way of using up leftover ham at the end of the week that didn’t get used in sandwiches.
Bacon, Mushroom & Pesto Pasta: Serves 4:
Time: 15 minutes from start to finish
Cost: 80p per serving
Calories: 592 per serving
- 400g penne pasta
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 6 rashes / 200g smoked bacon, chopped, fat removed
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 4 heaped teaspoons (approx 50g) green pesto
- Olive oil for frying
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. This should take around 10 - 12 minutes. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the other ingredients.
- Fry the onion and bacon in a splash of oil in a frying pan for around 5 minutes until the onion is soft and the bacon is cooked. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 1-2 minutes stirring frequently so they don't become soggy.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pan. Add the pesto to the pasta and stir well until the pesto coats the pasta evenly. If you find the pasta is sticking together too much, add a splash of olive oil to loosen it. Add the onion, bacon and mushrooms and stir well so they are evenly distributed through the pasta. Serve topped with cheese if you like.
Read more easy budget recipes