This Courgette and Lemon Pasta is light, zingy and summery. It's incredibly quick and easy to make, ready in just 15 minutes and requires only 5 ingredients. It's my current favourite pasta dish.
I like to use wholewheat spaghetti as I love the nutty flavour, but use any pasta you have to hand. You can add a pinch of dried chilli flakes to the courgettes if you like it hot. Choose small firm courgettes as they have a sweeter flavour. If you are not a courgette fan try this dish anyway. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Courgette and Lemon Pasta: Serves 2:
Time: 15 mins start to finish
Cost: 90p per serving*
Calories: 455 per serving*
*served with 1 heaped tablespoon of finely grated parmesan
- 200g dried wholewheat spaghetti (or other pasta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 courgettes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, juice and finely grated zest of
- Grated parmesan cheese to serve
- Fresh herbs to serve (optional)
- Put the pasta on to cook according to the instructions on the packet. This should take around 10 minutes. You can prepare the other ingredients while the pasta is cooking.
- While the pasta is cooking, coarsely grate the courgettes into a bowl and mix with the finely grated lemon zest and crushed garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok. When hot, add the courgettes and stir fry for 4 - 5 minutes until soft but with a little bite. Keep the pan hot to help eliminate as much water from the courgettes as possible.
- When the pasta is cooked 'al dente', drain (reserving a little of the cooking water) and add to the courgettes. Squeeze over the lemon juice and stir everything really well (tongs are great for this) until the courgette is evenly distributed through the pasta. You may get clumps of courgette sticking together, just keep mixing and eventually they will come apart. If you need to, use a little of the cooking water from the pasta to loosen everything. Serve immediately topped with parmesan cheese.
More Easy Budget Recipes