Eton Less: Low Fat Eton Mess
I simply adore Eton Mess - the classic combo of strawberries, meringue and double cream - but it's a whopping 500 calories and 45g fat per serving. I came up with a great low fat version of Eton Mess which I like to call Eton Less! It's a mere 160 calories and 5g fat per serving and it tastes good too.
Eton Less is not a dish which can be left or made in advance as the meringues will go soggy. If you wish, you can dice the strawberries, crumble the meringues and blend the yogurt and soft cheese a few hours in advance. Pop them in separate tubs in the fridge and then you can assemble just before you serve. Try flavoured Greek yogurt, vanilla or coconut for example, gives it a nice twist.
Low Fat Eton Mess: Serves 4 Adults:
Time: 5 - 10 minutes, start to finish
Cost: 90p per serving
Calories: 160 per serving
- 120g low fat soft cheese
- 240g low fat Greek yogurt
- 400g fresh strawberries, hulled and diced
- 4 x ready made meringue nests, smashed up
- Blend together the soft cheese and yogurt.
- Stir through the strawberries, reserving a few to decorate.
- Stir through the crushed meringues. Spoon into 4 glasses, top with strawberries and serve immediately.
See more easy budget recipes