It's so easy to make homemade chips, if you have not done it before please try! These chips are roasted in the oven so are much healthier than deep fried chips or frozen oven chips. Leaving the skin on the potatoes adds flavour as well as keeping those important vitamins found under the skin. You can flavour the chips with herbs or spices such as thyme, rosemary or smoked paprika. Don't used lots of oil and try to turn them as much as possible during cooking as this will ensure even crispness.
Homemade Chunky Chips: Serves 4 - 6
Time: 5 - 10 mins prep + 30 mins cooking
Cost: 25p per serving (based on 4 servings)
Calories: 288 per serving (based on 4 servings)
- 1kg floury potatoes (e.g. Maris Piper or King Edward)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Good pinch dried thyme or rosemary (optional)
- Sea salt to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220 C / gas mark 7. Wash the potatoes removing any blemishes but do not peel them (all the vitamins are under the skin and the skin tastes lovely too). Cut the potatoes into slices 1 - 1.5 cm thick, and cut the slices into chips of the same thickness. As you cut, place the potatoes into a large bowl of cold water to stop them going brown.
- Rinse the potatoes and dry well in a clean tea towel. Toss the chips in the oil until well coated.
- Brush one or two baking sheets with a thin layer of olive oil. Scatter the chips over the baking sheets so they are one layer thick - don't over crowd one baking sheet. Sprinkle with the dried herbs and place in the oven.
- Bake for around 30 minutes until they are golden brown and crunchy on the outside. For best results turn the chips every 7 - 10 minutes to ensure even browning.
More Easy Budget Recipes