Jubilee Eton Less
One of the most popular recipes on Gourmet Mum is Eton Less - an easy low fat healthy alternative to Eton Mess - so 'Less' calories. Inspired by the Patriotic Pavlova recipe from the girls at Crumbs I have made a Jubilee Eton Less, swapping strawberries for a mixture of raspberries and blueberries for Union Jack chic.
Traditional Eton Less is made from crushed meringue, strawberries and whipped cream. Eton Less substitutes the cream for a mixture of light cream cheese and Greek yoghurt. You could just use Greek yoghurt, but for some reason adding the cream cheese keeps the meringue crisper for longer. Make sure that your berries have time to dry after you have rinsed them. I find the best thing to do is line a plate with a piece of kitchen paper and pop the washed berries on it to dry.
Eton Less needs to be eaten as soon as it's made. Leave it for a few minutes and the meringue dissolves. This one cannot be made ahead, but as it takes 5 minutes to make, it's not a problem.
Jubilee Eton Less: Serves 6
Time: 5 - 10 minutes
Cost: £1.10 per serving
Calories: 196 per serving
- 200g Light Soft Cheese
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- 500g Light Greek Yoghurt
- 6 Mini Ready Made Meringue Nests
- 200g Fresh Raspberries, rinsed and air dried
- 225g Fresh Blueberries, rinsed and air dried
- Pop the soft cheese into a large bowl, along with the vanilla if using, and mix a little to loosen. Stir in the yoghurt. Do not overmix or use an electric whisk as the yoghurt will become very watery.
- Crumble the meringues, with your hands into a separate bowl. It's best to have a mixture of chunky bits as well as some 'dust' but don't make lots of small pieces.
- Just before serving, combine the fruit, yoghurt and meringue quickly and spoon into 6 bowls or glasses. If you want to, reserve a few of the berries to use as decoration.
More Easy Budget Recipes