I simply adore Eton Mess - the classic and very English combo of strawberries, meringue and double cream, but at a whopping 500 calories and 45g fat per serving it's not as pleasant for your waist as it is for your mouth! However, no need to panic ladies, as I have come up with an easy budget recipe which is also a great low fat version of Eton Mess which I like to call Eton Less! It's a mere 160 calories and 5g fat per serving without compromising too much on the taste. So now you can enjoy Eton Mess guilt free!
Eton Less is not a dish which can be left or made in advance as the meringues will go soggy. If you wish, you can dice the strawberries, crumble the meringues and blend the yogurt and soft cheese a few hours in advance. Pop them in separate tubs in the fridge and then you can assemble just before you serve. Try flavoured Greek yogurt, vanilla or coconut for example, gives it a nice twist.
Low Fat Eton Mess: Serves 4 Adults:
Time: 5 - 10 minutes, start to finish
Cost: 90p per serving
Calories: 160 per serving
- 400g fresh strawberries
- 120g low fat soft cheese
- 240g low fat Greek yogurt
- 4 x meringue nests (ready made)
- Wash the strawberries well, hull and dice. Save a few 'pretty' strawberries to decorate the top if you like, just slice them in half. Pop the strawberries to one side.
- Carefully blend together the soft cheese and yogurt.
- Crumble the meringues, with your (clean!) hands, into the soft cheese and yogurt mixture. It's best to have a mixture of chunky bits as well as some 'dust' but don't make lots of small pieces.
- Immediately stir through the diced strawberries, spoon into 4 wine glasses and top with the halved strawberries. Serve immediately.
See more easy budget recipes