Sweet Potato Soup
This is one of my favorite soups - yummy sweet potato flavoured with rosemary and garlic. It's really easy to make and perfect for an quick evening meal or lunch with some crusty bread. This soup is also a hit with kids as it has a lovely sweet flavour. Plus it contains one of your 5 a day.
To make it creamy, stir in 2 tablespoons of double cream after blending. This soup freezes really well so make it in bulk and freeze.
Easy Sweet Potato Soup: Serves 4 as a main, 6 as a starter:
Time: 10 minutes prep + 20 minutes cooking
Cost: 44p per serving*
Calories: 285 per serving*
*based on 4 sharing
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon crushed chillies / chilli powder (optional)
- 1 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 litre hot chicken or vegetable stock
- Tablespoon olive oil for frying
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fry the onion over a medium heat in a little oil for around 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, rosemary and chillies if using. Add the sweet potatoes and stock. Season to taste. Bring to the boil, then simmer with a lid partially covering the pan for 15 – 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Turn off the heat and using a hand blender inside the pan, blend the mixture until smooth. Serve topped with black pepper if you like.
Read more easy budget recipes