Sweet Potato, Red Lentil and Coconut Soup
Sweet Potato, Red Lentil and Coconut might seem like an odd combination, but they work a treat in this tasty, speedy soup. Lentils add protein and coconut milk adds dairy-free creaminess. Kids will enjoy the sweet flavour of the soup.
The recipe makes a whopping 8 servings, but don't be put off because it freezes really well. Leftover soup makes a great lunch.
Sweet Potato, Red Lentil and Coconut Soup: Serves 8 Adults
Time: 15 mins hands on time + 20 mins cooking time
Cost: 52p per serving
Calories: 309 per serving
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thumbsize piece of root ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli (optional)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 250g red lentils, washed well
- 2.5 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 2cm pieces
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g tin of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A little oil for frying
- Fresh coriander to serve (optional)
- Fry the onion in a little oil until soft over a medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for a further couple of minutes. Add the lentils, potatoes and stock. Pour in some extra boiling water until all the ingredients are just covered. Season to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the coconut milk and lemon juice to the soup and then blend with a hand blender until smooth. Serve with fresh coriander leaves if you like.
More Easy Budget Recipes