Easy Beef Chilli
This is a really easy recipe for chilli con carne made with beef mince. It's great for feeding a crowd and batch cooking as it freezes well. Try baking it in the oven rather than simmering it on the hob as it really enhances the flavours (this is a good tip from my friend Emma).
Beef Chilli is a really versatile dish as you can serve it with rice, jacket potatoes or in tortilla wraps with cheese. Top with sour cream, grated cheese or fresh coriander. A green crunchy salad and tortilla chips are also nice accompaniments.
Beef Chilli is perfect for a casual meal with friends. Make it the day before to really enhance the flavour and serve with the extra bits in the middle on the table.
Easy Beef Chilli: Serves 4 adults:
Time: 15 mins prep + 1 hour cooking
Cost: £1.11 per serving
Calories: 306 per serving
- 500g lean mince beef
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 red pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans (add a extra tin to bulk it out)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried cinnamon
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 beef stock cube
- A little oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Over a medium heat, fry the onion, carrots and pepper (if using) in a large pan for 4-5 minutes until soft in a tablespoon of oil. Meanwhile, brown the mince in another pan and drain off the fat which comes out (this is an optional step to be healthy).
- Add the browned mince to the carrot, onion and pepper along with the remaining ingredients. Give everything a good stir and season to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer gently with a lid partially covering the pan for at least an hour. Alternatively you can put your beef chilli in an oven proof dish with a lid and bake in the oven for 2-3 hour at 140 C / gas mark 3.
More easy budget recipes