Almond-Topped Filo Mince Pies
These Almond-Topped Filo Mince Pies look pretty, taste delicious and are really easy to make. The best thing about them is that they contain just half the calories of an average mince pie* as filo pasty is much thinner and lower in fat.
I find mincemeat a bit too sweet so I mix in a diced granny smith apple to balance the flavour. The flaked almonds add texture and flavour to the mince pies, and make them a little more interesting.
I have adapted this recipe from one I found on The Ideas Kitchen from Panasonic. You can bake them easily in a combination microwave or a normal oven.
Almond-Topped Filo Mince Pies: Makes 12:
15 mins prep + 16-20 mins baking
20p per serving
125 per serving
- 3 x sheets of ready made filo pastry
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- 275g mincemeat
- 1 granny smith apple, finely chopped
- 50g flaked almonds
- 25g ground almonds (optional)
- Icing sugar to dredge (optional)
Cooking in a combination microwave:
- Preheat the oven on CONVECTION 180ºCwith the shelf in place.
- Grease a 12 hole bun tin with a little vegetable oil.
- Combine the mincemeat with the apple and HALF the flaked almonds. Set to one side.
- Cut each sheet of filo pasty into 12 evenly sized squares. Layer 3 squares of filo pastry on top of each other using a little vegetable oil between layers to help them stick. Put the sheets at different angles so you end up with a sort of 12 pointed star shape. Repeat this with the remaining filo squares and you should end up with 12 lots of three layered squares. Carefully push each of them into the holes of the bun tin to make a little cup with the points of the pastry pointing upwards.
- Fill each filo cup with the mincemeat mixture. Top evenly with the remaining flaked almonds and some ground almonds if you like.
- Cook on CONVECTION 180ºCfor 16-18 mins or until the pastry is cooked and golden brown. Dredge with icing sugar to serve.
Cooking in oven:
- Preheat the oven on gas mark 6 / 200 C.
- Follow steps 2-5 as above.
- Bake for around 20 mins or until the pastry is cooked and golden brown. Dredge with icing sugar to serve.
*source calorie count