Pitta Pizzas are a great standby - I usually have a packet of pitta bread in the freezer I can whip out and then raid the fridge for toppings. They are super quick and easy, and a healthier alternative to ready-made pizzas for the kids, especially if you use wholemeal pittas.
We use a combination of the following for toppings, depending what we have in - ham, olives, salami, tuna, diced peppers, sliced mushrooms, pineapple chunks, chorizo, shredded leftover chicken, sun dried tomatoes, sweetcorn and whatever cheese we have in the fridge. Mr K loves them drizzled with chilli oil.
Pitta Bread Pizzas
- Makes: 2 (easily scaled up)
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 wholemeal pittas
- 3 tablespoons passata
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Toppings of your choice (see notes)
- 25g grated cheddar cheese
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C / 180 fan / gas mark 6. Put a baking sheet into the oven to heat up.
- Combine the passata, tomato puree & oregano and spread over the pittas.
- Distribute the toppings of your choice over each pitta bread and top with grated cheese.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and place the pittas on it.
- Bake the pitta pizzas in the oven for around 10 minutes until the cheese is golden.
- Scatter over some fresh basil leaves if you like and serve immediately.