Easy Shortbread Recipe
2 year old Joshua gives you step-by-step instructions to make easy shortbread. Shortbread cookies are great for baking with children and can be iced for fun. Add raisins, chocolate chips or mini smarties for a twist. Shortbread cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Easy Shortbread Recipe: Makes about 16 cookies:
Time: 15 mins prep + 30 mins chilling + 15 - 20 mins baking
Cost: 8p per cookie*
Calories: 208 per cookie*
*based on 16 cookies
- 300g butter (at room temperature)
- 100g caster sugar (plus extra for dredging if you like)
- Few drops vanilla essence
- 200g Plain Flour
1. Either by hand or in a food processor, cream the butter, vanilla and sugar together until smooth. Add the flour and mix to make a smooth dough. Make sure you wipe plenty of flour onto your jumper.
2. Wrap in cling film and chill the dough for half an hour. Remove from the fridge, pull a cheeky face and roll the dough to a 1cm thickness on a floured surface.
3. Cut into shapes using a cookie cutter or glass. Reshape the scraps and cut more shapes until the dough is used up. Prick cookies all over with a fork. Make sure you completely cover the surfaces, the floor and yourself with plenty of flour while doing so.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C / Gas 4 for 15 - 20 minutes until golden. Dredge with caster sugar while still warm if you like and cool on a wire rack. Change out of your messy clothes and munch!
More easy budget recipes