Cheese & Sun Dried Tomato Savory Muffins
Cheese & Sun Dried Tomato Savory Muffins are quick, easy and tasty. They make and make a fantastic lunch accompanied with a little salad and they are also great for picnics.
If you fancy a change from sandwiches give these savory muffins a try. They also make a great snack for kids. They are also very versatile as you can swap the sun-dried tomatoes for a grated carrot or courgette. I use a mixture of flours to be a bit more healthy but just use white if you prefer.
For a special occasion (and only for special occasions!) I make the little rustic baking cases with string in the photo. See the 'tip' below if you want to have a go at them. They are cute but they are easy I assure you!
Cheese & Sun Dried Tomato Savory Muffins: Makes 12 Muffins
Time: 15 mins prep + 20 - 30 mins baking
Cost: 16p per muffin
Calories: 194 per muffin
- 175g self-raising white flour
- 100g self raising wholemeal flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch dried basil or other dried herbs
- 100g grated medium cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 225ml milk
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 70g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (from a jar in oil, drained)
- 1 tsp mustard (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped chives (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Preheat the over to gas mark 5 / 190 C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Combine the flours, grated cheese, baking powder and dried herbs in a large bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in another bowl or large jug. Make a well in the centre of the 'dry' ingredients and pour in the 'wet'. Using a blunt knife, stir until just combined. Do not over mix or you will get tough muffins.
- Dollop the mixture evenly into the muffin cases. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until risen and golden.
Tip: If you want to make the rustic looking paper cases it's really very easy. Cut 12 strips of grease proof paper into roughly 5cm x 30cm sizes (you want the strip to roughly wrap the muffin twice). Roll them into a cylinder shape and place into the greased muffin tray. Carefully dollop the mixture into the centre of the 'tubes' and bake as normal. They won't come out all perfect, but that doesn't matter. When cool, tie a small length of string around each muffin. Tadah!
More easy budget recipes