Hot Cross Muffins
Hot Cross Muffins are essentially a hot cross bun 'crossed' with a muffin! They have all the yummy flavours of a hot cross bun in a light and fluffy muffin. Perfect if you fancy doing some easy Easter baking. Make the cross using melted white chocolate, white 'writing icing' or strips of white fondant.
Hot Cross Muffins: Makes 12 Muffins:
- Time: 10 mins prep + 25 mins baking
- Cost: 12p per muffin
- Calories: 277 per muffin
Ingredients for the hot cross muffins
- 300g self-raising flour
- 120g soft brown sugar
- 2 level teaspoons ground mixed spice
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 250ml skimmed milk
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 100g dried mixed fruit
- Zest of 1 orange (optional)
To make the cross:
- Melted white chocolate OR white writing icing OR white fondant
To make the hot cross muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 160 fan / gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the sugar, spice, baking powder and salt. Stir until well combined.
- In a jug whisk the eggs. Add the milk and oil and zest if using. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Mix carefully until just combined, but do not over mix or you will have tough muffins. Finally fold in the dried mixed fruit.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases evenly. Bake for around 25 minuites until risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- To decorate: wait until the muffins are completely cool. Pipe white melted white chocolate or white writing icing in the shape of a cross over the muffin. If using fondant, roll it into long thin 'sausage' strips with your hands and place on the muffins in a cross shape. Press down with your fingers to ensure it sticks well.
More easy budget recipes