Easy Rhubarb Crumble
Here's a really easy recipe for Rhubarb Crumble flavoured with orange and almonds. There's no need to pre-cook the rhubarb which saves time and it has a delicious nutty almond crumble topping.
Generally, Rhubarb Crumble requires quite a bit of sugar as rhubarb has quite a sharp flavour. I like to add the juice of an orange which gives natural sweetness so you need a bit less sugar.
Serve your rhubarb crumble with cream, ice-cream or custard.
Easy Rhubarb Crumble: Serves 8:
15 mins prep + 45 mins baking
51p per serving*
277 per serving*
*based on 8 servings
For the rhubarb filling:
- 800g rhubarb, washed and cut into 2-3 cm pieces
- 80g soft brown sugar
- Teaspoon ground ginger
- Juice & zest of an orange
For the crumble topping:
- 150g self raising flour
- 60g butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 1 level teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 level teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 50g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180C gas mark 4.
- To make the rhubarb filling: Combine the rhubarb, sugar, orange and ginger. Pop into a greased ovenproof dish and press firmly and evenly into the bottom of the dish with your hands.
- To make the crumble topping: Put the butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a mixing bowl and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the almonds and sprinkle the crumble mixture over the rhubarb.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the rhubarb crumble is golden and bubbling. Serve warm with cream, ice cream or custard.
Read more easy budget recipes