Easy Lemon Drizzle Cake
This easy recipe for lemon drizzle cake was sent to me by 8 year old Chloe. I have made lemon drizzle cake several times and this is by far the easiest and the best recipe for lemon drizzle cake I have used. It's a really easy recipe to scale up, I doubled it and baked it in my big loaf tin as I had lots of people to feed.
Mothers Day is not too far away and I think this cake is perfect for children to make for their mums as it's so easy and delicious. Chloe says that it is lovely served as a dessert with clotted cream and some raspberries. I think the future of food blogging is in good hands.
Easy Lemon Drizzle Cake: Serves 8-10:
Time: 15 minutes + 45 minutes baking
Cost: 21p per serving*
Calories: 355 per serving*
*based on 8 servings made with butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g butter or margarine at room temperature
- 2 medium eggs, whisked
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 large lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 1 - 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 / 180 C. Grease a small loaf tin or cake tin, or line with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the caster sugar and butter (or margarine) together using an electric hand whisk or wooden spoon. Gradually incorporate the whisked eggs until smooth-ish.
- Sieve the flour over the mixture and add the finely grated lemon zest. Using a metal spoon or spatula, fold the flour and zest into the mixture.
- The cake batter may be a little stiff, so at this point fold in 1-2 tablespoons of cold water to loosen it a little. You don't want it to be too liquid though.
- Pour the mixture into your tin and bake for around 45 minutes until a skewer just comes out clean. It's worth testing the cake after 35 minutes as ovens can vary.
- While the cake is baking, combine the lemon juice with 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of caster sugar until smooth.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, use a skewer to prick it all over on the top. Allow to cool for around 15 minutes and then remove from the tin and place it on your serving dish.
- Carefully spoon the sugar-lemon drizzle mixture evenly over the cake allowing some to run over the sides. Allow to fully cool and then enjoy.
More easy budget recipes