In honour of the London 2012 Olympic games, we had a Mini-Olympic party for the kids today. The events included the inflatable olympic torch relay, the paper aeroplane javelin and (my favourite) the potato shot put. Massive thanks to Nicky for organising such cracking games.
I made these Olympic Medal Cookies to reward our budding little athletes. The recipe is a really easy basic cookie recipe from Cooking a Commonsense Guide which is one of my favourite cook books of all time. I used some of that ready made writing icing (the sort that comes in a toothpaste tube) to decorate them as it was quick, easy and relatively mess free. However, you could really let your creative skills loose and make them gold and sparkly, star shaped or red white and blue.
Olympic Medal Cookies: Makes 40 cookies:
Time: 20 mins hands on time + 10 -15 mins baking
Cost: 3p per cookie*
Calories: 64 per cookie*
*Based on 40 cookies without icing. I made 40 round cookies with a 6cm cutter.
For the cookies:
- 125g butter or margarine (at room temp)
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (or cinnamon)
- 125g plain flour
- 125g self-raising flour
- Silver or gold gift ribbon
- Ready made writing icing (for quickness)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / gas mark 5. Line two or three baking sheets with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Mix in the flour to make a smooth dough. Cnd chill the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge wrapped in clingfilm.
- Roll the dough out to a 5mm thickness. Use a round cutter (or whatever shape you prefer) to cut as many cookies as you can. Roll up the scraps and repeat until you have used up all the dough.
- Place all the cookies on the baking sheets and use a blunt knife or skewer to make a small slit at the top of each cookie (so you can thread your ribbon through later on). Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until golden. Leave to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cookies are completely cool, thread a length of ribbon through each one and decorate with colourful writing icing.
More easy budget recipes