Lettuce Soup? I've not gone mad. Let me explain...
I hate wasting food - particularly my dads lovely home grown lettuce. He gave me an abundance of little gem lettuce which I needed to use before our holiday, hence I've been making lettuce soup. It's very quick, simple, light and surprisingly tasty served cold. It also freezes well. Have a mug alongside your sandwich, chilled in the summer, hot in the winter. Add some fried leeks, butter beans and cooked cubed chorizo to turn it into a hearty stew.
Lettuce Soup: Serves 4:
Time: 5 mins prep + 5 mins cooking
Cost: 40p per serving*
Calories: 56 per serving*
*Using two little gem lettuces without cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Around 250g lettuce (about 2 little gems or one large lettuce)
- 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
- Small handful of fresh herbs, e.g. mint, basil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons double cream (optional)
- Heat your oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until soft for around 4 minutes. Add the garlic, lettuce, stock and herbs if using, and cook for a further 4 minutes until the lettuce is soft.
- Blitz with a hand blender until smooth over a low heat. Stir through a little cream if you like and serve topped with some basil leaves to make it look pretty.
More Easy Budget Recipes